Thursday, March 5, 2015

Long Trip

Today I spent 12 hours to reach the town where my host school is located.  I got to see a lot of Morocco by bus, and the landscape is beautiful.  It looks like America's southwest region, but with the huge Atlas Mountain range in the background.  The towns we passed through were modern and some looked like American towns minus the signs in English.  
Before we left for Taroudant, we went on our final school visit in Rabat.  This school was an international high school and the kids had a less structured classroom environment that the other schools we went to.  The class we spent the most time in was filled with 15 year-olds and their teacher plays music for them while they are learning. Their assignment while we were there was to write about their favorite app and tell why they liked it.  They all had their cell phones out in class and had wi-fi in the classroom.  One thing that was amazing about the school was that they were celebrating "Woman's Day".  They honor women across the country on this day, and since our visit there coincided with that special day, they gave all the female TGC teachers a rose.  



This student had almost perfect English.  When I asked him if he studied in the States, he said "No--youtube".  Notice his shirt... (he reminds me of Ramon in my 4th period class)


This sign is from a club that celebrates international human rights.  It says, "My body, my rights".

 This beautiful student gave roses to all the female teachers.  They then had cookies and tea for us.



A great school visit-- the top row is the name of the school in Arabic and the second row says the name of the school in Berber.  Both are official languages of Morocco, but Berber only since 2011 after centuries of this ethnic group being marginalized. 


To answer one of your questions:  Felix, yes they do eat a bit of goat, but it does not seem that popular.  If you look closely at the picture you will see goat heads in the center...


Question of the Day:  What are the three languages students learn in Morocco by 10th grade?

6 comments:

  1. My answer is, Arabic, French, and Spanish (English is a favorite among students). I love the one student that learnwd Englisg from YouTube. We have had two snow days this week, about 8 inches or so here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently students teach themselves many languages on youtube. One girl I met was fluten in Korean and Japanese thanks to the internet...

      Delete
    2. Apparently students teach themselves many languages on youtube. One girl I met was fluten in Korean and Japanese thanks to the internet...

      Delete
  2. Arabic French and Spanish I tryed posting this earlier but did you know you have to have an email so I had to get permission that I was allowed to have an email😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Your answer is correct!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! Your answer is correct!

    ReplyDelete